The primary mission of the AREA Communications Department is the production and distribution of Alabama Living magazine. Each month, Alabama Living is delivered to some 420,000 Alabama households and businesses that receive electricity from an electric cooperative. The magazine has 22 distinct versions. Each version has content specifically tailored to members of the particular cooperative who receive it. This award-winning publication has the largest circulation of any consumer magazine in the state.
Contact: Lenore Vickrey
The Communications Department also is responsible for the AREA Print Shop, which produces short- and long-run printing needs of member cooperatives, as well as design services. The AREA Print Shop also produces materials for nonprofit groups and other associations.
Contact: Mark Stephenson
Another component of the department is the Rural Electric Youth Tour Program, which conducts annual tours of Montgomery and Washington, D.C., for high school juniors.
Contact: Laura Stewart
Other programs under the Communications Department are:
- Media Relations
- Public Relations
- Photography and Videography Services
- Communications Training
- Annual Communications Awards for Members
- Annual Communications Conference
- AREA and Alabama Living social media, including areapower.coop, alabamaliving.coop, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Vimeo sites
- AREA “Legislative Update” video newsletter
- “Inside Statewide” e-newsletter
- Alabama Living e-newsletter
- AREA “Statewide Safety” e-newsletter